Monday, April 6, 2009

No Pain, No Gain

That is the title of the series Kevin and others have been speaking on the last few weeks at middle school. Yesterday Kevin spoke and it was really good! He talked about how it is not enough to look at ourself in the mirror and know what needs corrected (inside or out) and to immediately walk away and forget what we saw. We have to do something about it. 

So for the past few months I have been working out 3 times a week at the gym with my friend Michelle. Not because I have discipline and devotion but because she does. Seriously, she is amazing. I am the queen of excuses and I can find one for anything I don't really want to do. But she has listened to me whine and put up with me. Until now... she can't workout every other day like she used to actually it is hit and miss so whenever she can't go I gladly set out but today was different. I went to the gym and did the workout as though she was there with me making me. 

I know this is really pathetic but she counts the laps and reps and pushes me every time. Mostly I am whining and trying to quit but she keeps me going. But not today. I decided to make some changes and I know that it has to start with me. 

Kevin says it is really hard to get queso out of his beard and that if he did get queso in his beard it takes like 2 or 3 washes to get it completely out. I know that is really gross but anyway he said its like if he looks in the mirror and sees queso and says, "ok, great. I saw it now I am done" but does nothing about it - he will be walking around with old gross queso on his face.

I know that is how we are on the inside and outside a lot of the time. I know that I should be doing a lot more than I am on the outside and inside. When that comes up in a conversation I conveniently say, "Yes, I know I should eat better, or I know I should spend more time with God". And its like that's it. Because I know I get the golden pass to exit the conversation. But I know that I walk away and immediately forget what I look like and what needs to be changed. 

Like GI Joe says, "knowing is half the battle" well I have been half way there all along. 
So, if this makes you think and do something please let me know.  I am really trying to challenge myself to keep my commitments to change! 


No comments: